History of the Zionsville Libraries
According to an article that appeared in the Lebanon Pioneer on May 21, 1896, Joseph B. Pitzer left Eagle Township $600 in his will that was turned over to the Township Trustee for establishment of a township Library.
Later, with the endowment gift of the Lora Hussey estate, the Library became a private Library funded exclusively with donations and estate income. Her bequest included the property at 255 W. Hawthorne Street which was converted into a public library facility where it operated from 1962 until 1994.
In 1988, after much discussion and soul-searching, the Library Board of the Hussey Memorial Library voted to convert to a public library.
In 1990, the Library Board voted to change the name of the Library to the Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, including the name of Mary Mayfield who had been a long time member of the Friends of the Library. In 1990, there were 4,044 registered cardholders who checked out 47,478 items.
At her death in 1993, Olive Hoffman, a cousin of Lora Hussey, bequeathed her estate to the Library. On January 31, 1994 the new Library facility at 250 North Fifth Street opened for public use with a collection of over 25,000 items.
The Library completed an expansion in 2006 to accommodate the growing community and use of the collection and facility. By the end of 2010 there were nearly 500,000 items checked out to over 17,000 cardholders. The collection included over 135,000 items.