On May 21, 1896, an article in the Lebanon Pioneer reported Joseph B. Pitzer left Eagle Township $600 in his will. According to the article, this was turned over to the Township Trustee to establish the township Library.
In 1962, the Zionsville Library received an endowment gift from the Lora Hussey estate. The Library became a private Library, funded exclusively by donations and estate income. Hussey’s bequest included the property at 255 W. Hawthorne Street. This location was converted into a public Library facility where it operated from 1962-1994.
In 1988, after much discussion and consideration, the Library board of the Hussey Memorial Library voted to convert to a public Library.
In 1990, the Library board voted to change the name of the Library to the Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library. This change included the name of Mary Mayfield, who had been a long time member of the Friends of the Library. At this time, there were 4,044 registered card holders who checked out 47,478 items.
Olive Hoffman, a cousin of Lora Hussey, passed in 1993. At the time of her death, she bequeathed her estate to the Library. On January 31, 1994, the new Library facility at 250 North Fifth Street opened to the public with a collection of over 25,000 items.
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library completed an expansion in 2006 to accommodate the growing community and use of the collection and facility.
By the end of 2010 there were nearly 500,000 items checked out to over 17,000 cardholders. At that time, the collection included over 135,000 items. The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library is proud to serve the community and we look forward to continued growth and service!